Master Craftsmen Umialiloalahanauokalakaua King Kai teaches how to make a Ku'i Lauoho (Hawaiian Hair pick)
Born and raised in Kaimuki , Oahu. Number 6 of 7 children of Douglas AW Kai of Waiahinu, Moku o
Hawaii and Rachel K. King of Waimea, Moku o Hawaii.
Attended public schools and received a B.S. Degree in Marketing at Chaminade University of Honolulu.
Married for 47 years to Janice Leinaala Lua of Laie. 3 sons, 1 daughter and 14 grandchildren.
Retired from the Visitor Industry in November 2016 after 49 years.
Started making Hawaiian implements in high school in 1967 and continues today. Has worked on
projects for Bishop Museum, Peabody Museum, Cook Museum, Hula Museum in Japan and many
private collectors of Hawaiian artifacts.
He fashions implements for fishing, kapa making, poi pounding, hula, and farming, and he is best known
for his traditional weaponry. Umi Kai shares his knowledge and experiences with people locally and
internationally, and he makes presentations regularly at schools, hotels, and organizations.
Has conducted and participated in traditional Makahiki protocol and images for over 25 years for Queen
Liliuokalani Trust, Pa Ku’i a Lua, Hale Mua o Kealii, Waikiki Aqurium, Bishop Museum and more.
Currently President of Aha Kane; Olohe Lua of Pa Kui A Lua; Kupuna of Hale Mua o Kualii; Member of Na
Ho’okahiko Award from Dukes 2019
Na Mamo Makamae o ka Po’e Hawai’I ( Living Treasure of the Hawaiian People) Awardee
Living Treasure 2018 by Honpa Hongwanji Mission of Hawai’i
MAMo Awardee 2017 by the PA’I Foundation
Educator of the Year 2016 by Native Hawaiian Education Association
Fellowship Award 2015 by Native Arts and Culture Foundation
Masters Program 1998 by Hawai’i State Culture and the Arts
Our Pasifika Disclosure
YOU MAY NOT:
· Modify or copy the materials
· Use the materials for commercial purposes or for any public display (commercial or non-commercial)
· Attempt to decouple or reverse engineer any software contained on any of Aloha Hula Supply or Our Pasifika online and social media platforms.
· Remove any copyright or other proprietary notations from the materials
· Transfer the materials to another person or ‘mirror’ the materials on any other server This license shall be subject to immediate termination by Our Pasifika without notice should you violate any of these restrictions. Upon terminating your viewing of these materials or upon termination of this license, you shall be required to destroy any downloaded materials in your possession whether in electronic or printed format.
Have an idea or suggestion for future content? Email us at email@example.com
ALOHA HULA MEDIA
4369 LAWEHANA STREET, #A2
HONOLULU, HI 96818
© 2020 copyright. All rights reserved.
In case of any concern, contact us